Balushahi: Flaky Indian Sweet
Want to make Balushahi at home? Yes, you can and it is easier than you think. Be it any festival or any special occasion, you can now treat your family and guests with this homemade Indian sweet. I know, you can get it in any sweet store in India, but nothing can beat homemade goodness, right? And for my friends who are abroad and often crave it, like I do, your problem is solved. Now some trivia for those who are not familiar with it (firstly, you need to try it ASAP), Balushahi almost resembles glazed donuts but it differs in texture. It is super flaky. And good news for my vegetarian friends, like most Indian desserts this too does not have eggs. Traditionally, it is fried in ghee (clarified butter) but I am trying to make it a bit healthier by frying it in vegetable oil. Well, it is my humble effort to free myself of the guilt of indulgence.
Please like, comment and subscribe to my Youtube channel for more such recipes.
INGREDIENTS: (For 10 pieces)
For the Dough
All purpose flour: 1 cup
Clarified butter/ Ghee: 3 tbsp
Baking powder: 1 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
For the Sugar Syrup
Sugar: 1 cup
Water: 1 cup
Green cardamoms: 2
Lime juice: Few drops
Oil for deep frying
Chopped nuts for garnishing (optional)
For Sugar Syrup:
- In pan add sugar, water and green cardamoms. Let it come to boil.
- Add few drops of lime juice. This helps to cleanse the sugar and prevents it for crystallization when cold.
- Reduce the syrup to one string consistency. To check the right consistency dip a spoon into the syrup and take it out. When the syrup on the spoon cools down a little, take it between your fingers and see if a single thread is formed when you pull the fingers apart.
For the Dough:
- Mix ghee (clarified butter) to flour for bread crumb like texture.
- Add baking powder and salt and mix again.
- Add yogurt (preferably cold) and knead gently. Do no work the dough too much.
- Cover with a wet towel and let it rest for 20 minutes. You may also refrigerate it to keep it cool.
- Portion the dough and give it shape as shown in the video.
- Deep fry them in low heat until golden brown. Do not fry in high heat as it will leave the center uncooked.
Finally, soak them in sugar syrup at least for 2 to 3 hours.
Garnish with chopped nuts before serving.
Photo and video by Swakshar Ghosh.